top of page

Cemeteries

This information is provided by the St. Augustine Genealogical Society for genealogical research purposes only.

< Back

Huguenot Cemetery aka Protestant Cemetery

Florida - St. Johns County

Mostly records came from physical observation. File produced from work contributed to web by John MacKenzie.  Updated 22 May 2009.  The original information shown in this database comes from work of John MacKenzie, JPMacKenzie@msn.com. It has been expanded.

The Huguenot Cemetery was established 1821 and is located in Saint Augustine, St. Johns County County, Florida. This cemetery operated from 1821 until 1884 when a city ordinance prohibited further interments at both the Huguenot and Tolomato cemeteries.  It is located just outside of the City Gates and next to the Visitors Information Center. It is also known as Protestnat Cemetery.

In 1892, B. Frank Leeds, Esq. made an inventory of the inscriptions in the “Old Protestant Graveyard at St. Augustine, Florida” and published it in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register across five volumes of the publication. This is interesting since some of the wooden markers were still intact. A transcription of that inventory can be downloaded at Huguenot Cemetery Inventory.

In 1892, B. Frank Leeds, Esq. made an inventory of the inscriptions in the “Old Protestant Graveyard at St. Augustine, Florida” and published it in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register across five volumes of the publication. This is interesting since some of the wooden markers were still intact. A transcription of that inventory can be downloaded at Huguenot Cemetery Inventory.

bottom of page